Friday, May 09, 2008

Shanghai trip turns out to be my turning point in life..

Back from Shanghai and I’m feeling great! More like a retreat than a business trip. Hahaha…work 1 day, play 3 days!!! That’s the way all business trips should be! The weather was great and cooling in the mornings and nights, so it was rather interesting and shiok. Only downside is the dryness. Had dried lips for 3 days, so on my next trip, have to bring along the lip balm. ;)

Had many eye-openers during this long trip. Made my virgin voyage to a KTV, massage parlor and foot massage. The former two are those with special service and it was fun! Though I did think back how degrading is it for the girls (and these girls aren’t Shanghai-nese!! They are from other provinces. The local girls are all in Singapore!!) to be in this line, so I didn’t go too far. Women in general, are treated rather badly (in my perspective), physically and morally. But at least in Shanghai, it’s still not that bad. Most are educated and feisty, so they know how to take care of themselves. But I can’t vouch for the rest of the provinces.

China is really experiencing a big change since the last time I went. Shopping malls, business towers, commercial offices are sprouting like mushrooms over the last decade and more to come. Posh living quarters are becoming a common sight in the scarce land of Shanghai. The most expensive apartment costs 110,000 yuan/sq mtr (S$20,000!!!). You do the math. And only 1 unit was sold since the day it launched. But in time to come, I’m sure it will be filled up very fast, especially the emergence of Russia and the Arab contingent.

If you’re thinking Stephen Chow’s character in Shaolin Soccer as a beggar in ragged clothes is funny, guess what…I saw a person donning those exact same torn and tattered clothes and shoes, and carrying his stuff, looking all scruffy and with his long white hair @ Shanghai. No joke!! There’re really very, very poor people but I can’t help them all. It really bugged me really bad when an old lady asked me for money and bread, and I didn’t give her. I nearly cried. I was afraid if I give her, all would come after me. If she can hear me, I’m really, really sorry about that. I wish I can lend a hand to her and all I came across, but I didn’t. Hope they make it through another day.

Through these events the past few days, I played a lot and think a lot. Both good and bad. Maybe it’s another turning point in my life. I can say that, in my 25 years on Earth, I’d experienced stuff my peers hadn’t; like marriage and divorce at the same time. It isn’t pleasant but I’m qualified to offer advice, should the need arise. I thought about how life should be simpler and family will always be there for you, no matter what. They will eventually forgive you and life goes on. There isn’t anything better than kinship. No one can ever replace that…not even your wife/husband.

I guess what I’m trying to say here is, enjoy your life alone first, before bringing in that special one. It will be the rest of your life. Your fate will come without you knowing. So, don’t be in a hurry to tie yourself down and quickly deciding he/she’s the one. Take your time and choose. Make sure he/she shares your same goals and have the desired qualities you wanted in your soulmate. No need all, even 50% is a good trade-off. The rest, you have to learn to compromise. That’s what marriage’s all about. If he/she’s 100% perfect, you might be marrying God! Kekek… ;) Good luck in your mate hunting and wishes all a good 2nd half of 2008!!

No comments: