Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Life: Leaders or Supporting Cast

Everyone has a role to play and that’s the way we are created. Just like in the movies, there are the leading man, supporting cast, director, screen-writers, lighting guys, props team etc, it applies to life as well. Not everyone can be the lead actor. Some are more suited to be supporting cast, just like me! :p I know that ever since I’m in my poly project teams. I’m a very good assistant to the leader, but not a good leader. I always feel that I can build on an idea but never come up with an initial brilliant suggestion. So, I’m resigned to being 2nd class and know my place in life. To me, leaders are born, not cultivated. No matter how hard you train the person, he just can’t succeed that leadership role because he’s just not built for that role in life.

But don’t be despair. Leaders can’t do their job well without his trusty side-kick. He’s the one who organize the nitty gritty details so that the leader can perform and sell to the crowd. That’s why Soon and me are always great partners. We know when to excel and when to retreat to optimize one another’s strengths and cover one’s weakness.

But there are times whereby the supporting cast has to step up if the leader is gone and out. It’s the time to perform and it takes lotsa guts and determination to make the rest convince you can be a leader. For e.g. I was pushed to become a leader in my final year of undergrad studies. No choice, ‘coz after the 1st group meeting, I know I can’t count on my mates to lead and do the work. So, I stepped up and lead their thru. I pumped in double the effort to ensure my team succeeds, and WE DID!! So I was very proud with the end results and got pretty decent grades. That was my defining moment. If only I can capture that on film. Kekeke…

So, enough said. Everyone needs everyone. No one can perform without each other. You can’t live in a world of pure leaders or vice versa. It has to be a balance. It’s the whole eco system of life. Just like a food chain. Some are the prey and some are the hunter. No prey, no hunter. Simple?

I still love myself for who I am. Laid back, always looking cool, but when the time for me to step up, I know I can do the job. So, for the time being, I’ll just let the others shine while I support them wholeheartedly and happily. ; )

No comments: