Monday, June 02, 2008

Inaugural Sundown Marathon 2008

Just the 2nd marathon under my stable of long distance races. Very tired and very sleepy. Hahah…no joke. Almost fell asleep while running, can you believe it?! Not only me, a fellow runner as well, coz I saved him from rolling down the slope. His eyes were closed and I was there in time to pull him. Pheww!!! What drama!! :p

I was blessed with good weather in the night after the afternoon showers, but it was not meant to be. Roughly about 6am or around the 30km++ mark, it started to pour heavily for about 10-20mins, after which it toned down and continued for at least another 30mins. (Didn’t wear a watch, so I couldn’t tell the time. I can only use the birds chirping and sunrise as a gauge.) Nonetheless, the victory was sweet. Running (more like walking) through a sunrise is beautiful. Clear blue skies and wavy bits of cloud greeting you, Good Morning! The feeling’s great and finished the race at a time of 7:19.30hr. It’s considered good despite not training extensively for it. So there’s no complaints. :)

The race was full of people of different age groups. Those that attracted me are the housewives and grandpa group. I really take my hat to their sheer determination. It’s no joke running a marathon. Lots of training and strength training are needed to EVEN try to finish the race running. I doubt they have the luxury of time to do lots of training as well, so I salute them! You guys really earn my respect!

It’s also a race of familiarity. Not only I saw my cousin, Kent, I also saw my ex-CO, Col Lam, ex-PS, 2nd Sgt Tan and ex-Brigade CO (I think that’s his designation.. :p). All but my aunt. I was trying to spot her but end up finding all those people. Hahaha…well, doesn’t matter. It’s nice to see them again :) The race took place in the Eastern part of Singapore, so I ran past my people’s homes, i.e. Ben’s @ Telok Karau, Grandma’s @ Kembangan, Thomas’ @ Starville (also in Kembangan), my secondary school, Hai Sing High (now known as Hai Sing Catholic) and Misna’s @ Tampines Ave 10. It’s kinda cool to do that and give you a feeling of fondness. Nice feeling…kekeek.. :p

The whole race was generally ok but the organizing committee can do better next time. Some glitches on the manpower and lacking of every 1km route markers, can be improved for next year’s race. There wasn’t any lighting at the water points, which could proved very dangerous for the staff and very conducive for sleeping! Hahahah…anyway, PLEASEEEEEEEEEE provide lamps in future. Don’t be so stingy ok!

Gotten my medal, finisher tee, banana and water, it’s a job well done and adios. Maybe next year I’ll join again, but it will need lots of persuasion. Hahahah..next stop, Passion Run, 15km on 8 Jun. Shouldn’t bat a eyelid. So my main concern is August’s race, i.e. Singapore Bay Run, 21km. Maybe no kick after the 42. Hahahah… ; )

No comments: